As a blogger, links are everywhere and are contained in almost everything you create from blog posts to social media updates to affiliates. But there’s an easy way to manage all of your links from one place with the Pretty Links plugin for WordPress – and it’s free!
Pretty Links is an amazing WordPress plugin that allows you to customize your links, provide a single source to update URLs, create simple redirects, and manage your affiliate links (with no follow!).
Yes, there is a paid version but most bloggers have no need for the additional functionalities included at a price.
What Is Pretty Links?
While many bloggers use sources like Bitly, Pretty Links is mostly intended to shorten and customize your links to fit your needs from right in WordPress. It can also be used for redirects if you change a URL (aka permalink) and need a link to navigate the user to an updated or different URL.
But the Pretty Links plugin can do so much more:
Pretty Link Features
Here are the great features of Pretty Links:
- Create shortened URLs of your choice that still include your site address (yoursite .com/your-long-blog-post-title/ can become yoursite .com/blog-post/)
- The above is considered a redirect, which is another use for plugin (301, 302, and 307 redirects only)
- Link click tracking (on unique and total clicks – meaning the total clicks and the number of unique readers that clicked the link)
- Link reporting (filter by a specific link, date range, or unique clicks)
- “No follow” or “Sponsored” link setting (turn this on for a link and you don’t have to individually code your affiliate links – make sure your program allows “masked” links first! Amazon does not) – good for SEO!
- You can turn tracking on and off for specific links
Ways You Can Use Features
Check out the video below showing how the plugin works. But here are some things you can do with the plugin (there may be redundancy from the previous list – these are more examples of the above features in actual use):
- Create clean, shortened URLs for use on Twitter and for other character limited needs
- Have a freebie you offer? Will it be updated? Create a Pretty Link and update the URL once to direct all of your links across your site to the updated version!
- Add “sponsored” to all allowable affiliate links (see note in the features section). Plus you will have one area where you can find all your affiliate links!
- Quickly find all of the links you need from groups you set-up (maybe you are doing a giveaway and want to know how many clicks you receive during your campaign on the individual items)
- Change a page URL? Create a simple redirect to the new page or post
- Track clicks on any and all links for campaigns, giveaways, email blasts, etc
How To Create A Pretty Link
A quick overview of the plugin (free version). This video shows you how to “mask” affiliate links and how to update existing affiliate links with your Pretty Link that already exist on your blog.
Update: This video shows you how to add “no follow” but under Advanced settings you can select “Sponsored” for all your affiliate links (per a new change to the Google algorithm in 2020 – add “Sponsored” to all affiliate links rather than “no follow”!)
Additional plugin used in the video: Better Search Replace
Pretty Links is a versatile plugin that can solve many link challenges – for free! Any blogger out there can benefit from the simple (but effective) features in this link-filled world of blogging.
Do you use Google Drive and want to provide a direct download link for a product or resource (in conjunction with using Pretty Links)? Check out this Google Drive instant download link creation post!
Was this info useful? Share it with others!